In May of 1954, Rev. Robert J. Schwegel was notified by Most Reverend Joseph E. Ritter, Archbishop of St. Louis, that he would become the first pastor of Holy Infant Parish. The Ellisville Athletic Building served as a temporary church, while a more permanent location was decided. In the spring of 1956, six acres on the east side of New Ballwin Road were selected. The construction of the church and school were underway and the next task was at hand. On September 4, 1956, Holy Infant School opened its doors with Mrs. Virginia Kunz as principal and a total lay faculty assisting her. There were 275 children in kindergarten through eighth grade. In 1957, the Sisters of Mercy of Drogheda, County Meath, Ireland, agreed to come to America to staff Holy Infant School. The founding sisters, Mary Xavier O'Donnell, Mary Berchmanns Digon, Mary Gerturde Duffy and Mary Bosco Doly settled at this small parish, that will soon thrive in the years to come.
Among the early graduates of Holy Infant was a young man named Timothy Michael Dolan. After graduating from Holy Infant in 1964, Timothy entered the St. Louis Preparatory Seminary (now Kenrick-Glennon Seminary). Dolan continued his studies and was ordained into the priesthood in 1974. In April of 2009, Archbishop Timothy Dolan of New York was installed as a Cardinal.
Holy Infant School has expanded over the years. Our new church was built, and the former space was converted to classrooms. A new gym was constructed and used for athletics and the performing arts. Our Mercy Wing was constructed for our 6th Grade students and our Specials classes. And finally we added our Junior High Wing and new cafeteria.
Over the years, many Irish Sisters of Mercy called Holy Infant home. Our last two sisters, Sr. Rosario Delaney and Sr. Laurentia Cusack, returned to Ireland in July of 2016. Sr. Laurentia had arrived in 1982 and spent her time at Holy Infant teaching mathematics to 6th grade. Sr. Rosario arrived in 1964 and, after teaching 1st grade, assumed the role of Principal, which she held for 37 years. Upon Sr. Rosario's retirement, Mrs. Rebecca McQuaide was appointed Principal in August of 2015. Mrs. McQuaide taught 6th grade at Holy Infant School for 14 years and is an alumnae. Her three children are now Holy Infant students.